Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thoughts about Valentines Day

What a Holiday. First of all, I feel bad for men on this one. I mean, I am just being honest. I am sure it's a lot of pressure. Not that the girlfriend or wife does it on purpose, but it IS a holiday therefore an immediate expectation. An expectation that is present even when you (the woman) don't want it there..it's like it's forced. I realize this because when I think of Valentines Day my heart says "he doesn't need to get me anything" " just another day"....but my head then immediatly replys with "if he doesn't put any thought into that day at all I swear....(you can insert). But no matter what, even if you pretend not to care, a woman cares...right?

Looking back I can see those great Valentines Days, like ones spent on ski trips surrounded by friends, ones that have included pretty jewlery and maybe a nice dinner and a movie. There have been those depressing lonely ones, ones where significant other had to work late, or no significant other. Days made special by wonderful roomates (Tiff I love you) who make beautiful dinners for her single and recently broken up housemates. Years in elementary, middle, Jr. and Highschool where I was called to the office to receive pretty flowers or sweet treat sent by the best mom on the planet. So no matter how bad any of those days could have been, they really weren't bad at all were they?

So now that I think a bit more...... Could there ever be such a thing as a bad Valentines Day? When it comes to my honey forgetting or not getting just the right thing, maybe. But when it comes down to what that day really should be about I say no, because I know that I have beautiful people in my life that love me. And I love them. Unfortunately, in this world love is hard to come by...so I am going to try real hard to not let my head get in the way of my heart.

P.S. Dear Honey, a massage sounds nice for heart day ;) But if you forget it's ok, as long as you take out the garbage. After all, I am still a woman.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Kat...you are so cute! A very true viewpoint on the holiday. Somehow, the marketing people got hold of the holiday and made it commercialized to the point of where we forget what we are celebrating. Thank you for recognizing the meaning of the holiday, cherishing those we love in our lives. Love you Kat and miss you dearly too :0) Happy Valentine's Day!!

Trevor + Tiffany said...

I love your posts. It was fun having you guys come for new years! Sorry I was such a bum. You have the kindest heart of anyone I have met. I am so happy we are friends :) Hope you get that massage. Happy Valentine's Day from our fam to yours!